Phonics Screening Check
INFORMATION FOR PARENTS ON THE PHONICS SCREENING CHECK
- The phonics screening check is a statutory assessment that was introduced in 2012 for all children in Year 1.
- It takes place in June.
- It comprises of a list of 40 words (20 real and 20 nonsense).
- Expectation from the Government is that pupils should achieve at least 32 out of 40 to reach the expected level. The pass mark can vary year on year, but is usually 32.
- The check will take up to fifteen minutes per pupil and will be conducted by the class teacher.
- Children who do not achieve the expected level at the end of Year 1 will retake the screening in Year 2.
For fun phonics games that you can play at home visit: